Monday, May 28, 2007

And the winner is...


And the winner of the best actress award at Cannes this year is Jeon Do-yeon. Darcy over at Koreanfilm.org predicted this five months ago (here, scroll down to 2006.12.28), even though "Secret Sunshine" wasn't yet finished and hadn't been invited to Cannes yet (more on the reaction to the film at Cannes here).

Even though I don't know what kind of competition she was up against, I can't say I'm too surprised, having been a fan of her work for some time. I first saw her in "The Harmonium in My Memory", when I caught the last half of that film on tv during the world cup in 2002 (when at least one network was playing films with English subtitles). Watch that film next to "Happy End", also made in 1999, and the difference in the characters she plays is striking. Even a pretty boring movie like "My Mother the Mermaid" was worth watching just to see her play two different roles.

Anyways, congratulations to Mrs. Jeon! Hopefully this will convince more people to watch the film here in Korea...

No comments: